Friday, March 18, 2011

Less than Perfect

"I'm not perfect, but I keep trying
Cause that's what I said I would do from the start."
- Hedley, "Perfect"

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newbay/gcpro_audiosolutions_2010summer/#/14

There's something that really stands out to me in this article. Zappa says:

If there is one thing I manage to excel at, it's failure - I manage to fail at 100 percent of the things I do.

Zappa was never 100% satisfied with any of his work, according to this quote. He says that there is never enough machinery or personnel to get things "exactly right". He was his own hardest critic - he strived for perfection in everything he did, and rarely got it (perfection is a very hard thing to achieve!).

I've also noticed that Zappa has always been a very well-spoken man. I've only ever seen one musician who was as well worded (and opinionated) as he was; Marilyn Manson. Both of these men continue to surprise me with the more I learn about how smart they are, and how well-educated they are on the topics they speak about.

I truly believe that Zappa, like he said he would have been if not a musician, could have been a chemist or a physicist. He definitely has the mental capacity for these jobs, and I think he would have been just as innovative in those fields as he was in music.

No comments:

Post a Comment