Thursday, January 6, 2011

Introducing Me.

"I'll try to do my best to impress
But it's easier to let you take a guess at the rest
But you wanna hear what lives in my brain
My heart, will you ask for it, for your perusing?
At times confusing, slightly amusing
Introducing me"
Nick Jonas - Introducing Me (Camp Rock 2)

I figured that there's probably nothing better than an introductory blog post to start this off. After all, you probably know just as much about me as I know about Zappa (nothing, if you weren't aware). So, a little introduction about me:

My name's Meghan, and I'm a 22 year old music fan. I'm currently in my first semester at university, and reeeeeally want to be a music journalist/editor in the future.

My music taste is very eclectic, though if you ask my father he'll say I'm not musically diverse yet. If you want proof, though, I'll grab my iPod and list the first 10 songs that come on shuffle:

1. Something Corporate - Fall
2. David Bowie/Queen - Under Pressure
3. Glee Cast - Thong Song
4. Dir En Grey - Cage
5. Ke$ha - Dirty Picture [pt 2] feat. Taio Cruz
6. We Came As Romans - Conditions
7. All Time Low - Poppin' Champagne
8. Jonas Brothers - Inseparable
9. Hyper Crush - She's a Freak
10. Drake - Houstalantavegas

Okay, so it may not be the most accurate representation of my musical taste. Two of my favourite artists are not represented on there (Paramore, and Jack's Mannequin). However, the styles of music are clearly diverse: there's pop on there, classic rock, visual kei, dance, screamo, and rap. My friends hate listening to my music on trips because they never know what to expect - they could be listening to metal, and find themselves suddenly listening to a song from a Disney soundtrack.

Regardless of how weird I think my taste in music is, I will agree with my dad on one thing: it needs more breadth, and depth.

This is what led me to joining a class on Frank Zappa.

While, at this point, I know little about him - from what I've heard, he's eccentric, talented, and named his kids really weird things - I'm open to learning more about him. Both my dad and uncle consider themselves Zappa fans, and while not obsessive like some of his other fans, they do enjoy his music and know a lot about him.

Anyways, that's probably all you're going to get out of me for now ;) I don't really think I'm in much of a position to say anything about Zappa yet, as I've only attended one class. Expect something with more substance later on!

No comments:

Post a Comment